Doornbos will zurück zur F1

Doornbos will zurück zur F1

Only 3 races into champ car schedule, Doornbos is already campaigning for his return to F1.

itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=39152

Former Minardi and Red Bull driver Robert Doornbos is hoping his instant success in the Champ Car World Series will earn him an invitation to return to Formula 1.

The Dutchman remains on Red Bull's F1 test and reserve rota, but is also racing for Paul Stoddart's new Minardi USA operation in America this year.

Doornbos has got his Champ Car career off to a spectacular start with two podiums in his first three races - results that he believes prove he deserves another shot at F1.

"It doesn’t hurt my career that I came into a new series like Champ Car and got to spray the champagne in two out of three races!" Doornbos told the official F1 website.

"My aim is to become a successful driver at the highest level possible.

"My relationship with Red Bull is good and I know that they will keep an eye on my performance in the USA and in the F1 car during testing, so that can mean a way back to F1."

He was adamant that his decision to race in Champ Car did not mean he had given up on F1.

"It was very important to race this season, even though I’m very happy to be involved with RBR in F1 as their third driver," said Doornbos.

"But with the new regulations in F1, with limited mileage in testing and my high motivation, I just couldn’t sit still and Champ Car looked like the best option."

nett ist anders...
      "Um IndyCar-Racing wieder dahin zu bringen, wo es einmal war, bedarf es sicher noch einiger Saisons. Dank der Vereinigung ist es wieder möglich, dieses Ziel zu erreichen. Das war es vorher nicht."

Alex Zanardi