George Foreman Co-Owner bei Panther

George Foreman Co-Owner bei Panther

Boxing legend George Foreman has joined two-time IndyCar Series champions Panther Racing as a team co-owner, team officials announced today.

Foreman, 58, retired from the rings in 1997. He was a two-time world heavyweight champion, his second title coming in an amazing comeback at age 45 in 1994. The announcement didn’t specify whether branding of Foreman’s famous grills will appear on Vitor Meira’s No. 4 Delphi-backed Dallara-Honda or in Kosuke Matsuura’s No. 55 Super Aguri Panther Racing machine.

“This is a very special day for Panther Racing,” team co-owner John Barnes said. “To add a true professional and sports legend like George Foreman to our ownership group is a tremendous boost to our team. George brings with him experience from decades in professional sports and the business savvy to help our team’s sponsorship efforts. His passion for cultivating successful business opportunities is as strong as his career in the boxing ring. The Panther Racing franchise just got a lot stronger.”

Foreman stated: “I’ve been blessed throughout my life to partner with winning organizations. Now that I am part of Panther Racing, I am looking forward to being part of a winning team. Much like the Foreman name, Panther Racing is an institution in sports and I’m proud to be a partner in their world-class Indy team. As a race fan I’ve admired Panther not only for their passion for racing, but also their business acumen on and off the track.

“Our involvement with Panther Racing offers a tremendous opportunity to bring together two championship brands and cross-promote two sports powerhouses across a diverse fan base,” added George Foreman Jr., the boxing legend’s eldest son, who is also part of the deal, together with brother George Foreman III, who said: “The Foreman family is excited to team up with John Barnes and looking forward to building a championship Indy team, as well as helping to grow and diversify the business of the sport.”

Meira, the driver who will spearhead Panther’s three-car Indianapolis 500 effort alongside teammates Matsuura and John Andretti, concluded: “All I could say was, ‘Wow’ when John told me who our newest team owner was. There are many common threads between Panther and George Foreman. Both of us our champions, both of us are committed to working hard in sports and in business, and now we are going to accomplish great things together.”

Foreman's partnership with Panther is also the third announcement of a famous African-American joining an open-wheel racing team in the past couple of years. NBA star Carmelo Anthony's effort with Hemelgarn Racing in the IRL and comedian Cedric The Entertainer's teaming up with Keith Wiggins' squad in Champ Car both produced little in terms of added sponsorship revenue and ended up being terminated.

quelle:racer
      "Um IndyCar-Racing wieder dahin zu bringen, wo es einmal war, bedarf es sicher noch einiger Saisons. Dank der Vereinigung ist es wieder möglich, dieses Ziel zu erreichen. Das war es vorher nicht."

Alex Zanardi