St. Petersburg

St. Petersburg

Ich eröffne mal den Thread zum bevorstehenden Rennwochenende in St. Petersburg. Die Hoffnung, dass die neuen Teams auf einem Straßenkurs besser mithalten können, hat sich eindrucksvoll bestätigt. Beim ersten freien Training legte Wilson gleich mal die Bestzeit hin. Auch beim zweiten Training waren 3 Ex-Champcars in den Top 10. Bester darunter Will Power auf 4. Und das beste: Die Top 15 alle innerhalb einer Sekunde! Lässt auf ein spannendes Rennen hoffen. :thumbup: Die Karten kommen aber erst morgen beim Quali auf den Tisch.

vielen Dank Chris, bin mal wieder "hinterher" mit allem - aber leider gibt es auch andere Dinge, die mich busy halten als nur dieses Forum. Das kommt davon, wenn man zu viele Interessen hat und ein etwas "allrounder" ist :D

aber zu St. Petersburg (ich werde noch ein paar Posts nachreichen müssen, die wichtig sind, weil sich das Quali-Prozedere auch komplett geändert hat)

Bei der ersten Practice Session gestern war am Ende dann doch Helio Castroneves vorn gefolgt von Tony Kanaan, Hideki Mutoh und Justin Wilson
      Wenn ich die Headlines lese, muss es ein ziemliches Crashfest gegeben haben gestern, ich meine ich las, dass 8 Autos (darunter auch Danica Patrick) irgendeinen Kontakt mit Mauern oder Reifenstapeln hatten mit mehr oder weniger Schaden an den Fahrzeugen :D
      Ein "combined" Ergebnis von allen Practice Sessions liegt noch nicht vor nur die Ergebnis aus beiden einzelnen Trainingssessions.

Das neue Quali Verfahren wird eine Art "Knock out" Verfarhen sein ähnlich wie in der F1, 1 1/2 Stunden Zeit sieht man dafür vor wie ich las

dieses Wochenende mache ich es mir mal einfach und übersetze nichts, die meisten können eh Englisch, ich mache mal "copy & paste" vom Freitagstraining der IRL in St. Petersburg - allerdings nur vom wichtigsten:

CASTRONEVES LEADS FIRST DAY OF PRACTICE AT ST. PETERSBURG

ST. PETERSBURG, FLA., Friday, April 4, 2008 – Helio Castroneves, the two-time defending winner of the Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg, staked an early claim at becoming a three-time winner. The Team Penske driver topped 2 ½ hours of IndyCar Series practice on the 1.8-mile, 14-turn temporary street circuit with a fastest lap of 1 minute, 3.3068 seconds, 102.359 mph.
      Andretti Green Racing teammates Tony Kanaan, a three-time podium finisher at St. Petersburg, and Hideki Mutoh were second and third-fastest. Newcomers Justin Wilson and Will Power were fourth and fifth-fastest, respectively.
      Kanaan missed 30 minutes of practice in the morning session serving a penalty for failure to follow the directions of Race Control during the final restart of the March 29 race at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
      “The Team Penske car was handling well and we were able to put together a good lap this afternoon,” Castroneves said. “Even though there were a lot of cars out there, I was able to get a very clean run. I’m happy with where we are after the first day, but I know that tomorrow will be even faster.”
      IndyCar Series drivers will have an additional 30 minutes of practice time Saturday morning before competing for the PEAK Motor Oil Pole Award in a new format that features three sessions that progressively narrow the field to the six fastest cars for the Firestone Fast Six Shootout.

--- snip ---

Groups for tomorrow’s IndyCar Series practice session will be determined by a random draw. Brian Barnhart, president of competition and operations, will draw chips out of two bags. One chip will contain a car number while the other chip will be either red or blue, determining whether the selected car is in Group 1 or Group 2.
      The randomly assigned groups will take effect for Saturday morning’s practice session as well as Segment One of the new qualifying procedure that will be introduced this weekend. In Segment One, the fastest six cars from each group will advance to Segment Two. After Segment Two, the fastest six cars will advance to the Firestone Fast Six Shootout in an attempt to win the PEAK Motor Oil Pole Award

--- snip ---

Townsend Bell returns to IndyCar Series competition this weekend, driving the No. 23 Dreyer & Reinbold Racing entry with sponsorship from William Rast.
      Bell and William Rast CEO Colin Dyne are friends. The company was founded by recording artist Justin Timberlake and his best friend, Trace Ayala. William is the given name of Timberlake’s grandfather and Rast is the surname of Ayala’s grandfather.
      Bell will compete in eight races in the No. 23 car prepared by Dreyer & Reinbold Racing, complementing the events in which Milka Duno will be behind the wheel.
      TOWNSEND BELL (No. 23 Dreyer and Reinbold William Rast): “I’m really excited to be back on a street circuit. It will be tough; I’ve only had one test day at Sebring and still have probably several more days on track before I feel like I’m on top of things. We know we have a great baseline package and I have a great teammate in Buddy Rice. Based on the testing we’ve done, everything is pointing in the right direction.
      “(Team co-owners Dennis Reinbold and Robbie Buhl) and I have talked the last few years about working together and it all worked out this year. It’s a great way for this year to work myself back into the championship and hopefully run full time next year. It’s kind of a perfect transition from doing nothing to working toward a full-time opportunity.”

--- snip ---

INDYCAR SERIES POST-PRACTICE QUOTES:
      HELIO CASTRONEVES (No. 3 Team Penske, fastest): “The Team Penske car was handling well and we were able to put together a good lap this afternoon. Even though there were a lot of cars out there, I was able to get a very clean run. I’m happy with where we are after the first day, but I know that tomorrow will be even faster.” (About new qualifying format): “Qualifying last year was a lot of fun, but the change in format this year will give us a new challenge. It's hard to predict how things will go because we haven’t done it yet. But it will be new for everyone, which levels the playing field, and hopefully things will go smoothly tomorrow.”
      TONY KANAAN (No. 11 Team 7-Eleven, second fastest): “On paper it looks good. We’ll see after tomorrow what we think about it. It’s going to be interesting to see how the draw comes out. Maybe we’re going to see a group of very strong guys together in one group and maybe another not so strong group. Or maybe we’ll see a mix. So I don’t know what to expect, but I’m excited about it. It’s a new format, so we’ll see what’s going to happen. Personally I love the single-lap qualifying, but I’ll give it a try tomorrow. I’m pretty sure if some of us make it all the way to the end, you’re going to see some drivers with their arms falling off because pushing it for an hour, qualifying every time you go ou t, it’s going to be tough.”
      HIDEKI MUTOH (No. 27 Formula Dream, third fastest): “I am a bit disappointed with how the second session ended, but until then I was doing well and the car felt very good. We were going to try one more set of tires at the end but we ran out of time. All in all we finished third fastest so I am pretty happy. I am not sure about the weather tomorrow but I am looking forward to the qualifying session.”
      JUSTIN WILSON (No. 02 McDonald’s Racing Team, fourth fastest): “This morning was good. The car felt pretty good straight out of the trailer. The team has worked pretty hard for the past five weeks now, and this is the first chance we’ve really had to try it on a road course. And so far, so good. I think we’re in reasonable shape. You never like to get too carried away but so far I feel like my McDonald’s car is quick and now it’s time to work on the race setup.”
      WILL POWER (No. 8 Aussie Vineyard-Team Australia, fifth fastest): “This was a much better practice session for KVRT Aussie Vineyards – Team Australia. The car earlier was really out of the window, but we worked out a couple of things. The team made the adjustments we needed to make and now it is much better to drive, much more for my style, so I am looking forward to tomorrow’s qualifying. Hopefully, we can make a couple more improvements and we will see how we go.”
      --- snip --- >

PR IRL

das war nicht das komplette Ding, aber ich denke, das für uns wichtigste ist drin, die Indy Lights habe ich mal raugelassen, das Release war ellenlang

Hab mir das gestern mal im live stream reingezogen, einige hatten wirklich kleinere Mauerkontakte, oft nix großes, Mutoh okay auf P1 liegend in T10 glaub gecrasht, ansonsten Danica, gedreht, Foyt natürlich auch mit leichtem Kontakt, Rice Notausgang und solche kleinen Sachen eben die einfach dazugehören, so auch Castro-Neves stehen geblieben.

Aaansonsten, freu ich mich tierisch auf das Rennen, weil ich glaube, es wird ein richtig tolles für die "neuen" Teams.
      Combined session Top Ten from this morning:

1 No.6 Ryan Briscoe, 01:02.9746 / 102.899mph
      2 No.26 Marco Andretti, 01:03.1362 / 102.635mph
      3 No.5 Oriol Servia, 01:03.1647 / 102.589mph
      4 No.02 Justin Wilson, 01:03.1863 / 102.554mph
      5 No.9 Scott Dixon, 01:03.1971 / 102.536mph
      6 No.10 Dan Wheldon, 01:03.2971 / 102.374mph
      7 No.3 Helio Castroneves, 01:03.3068 / 102.359mph
      8 No.11 Tony Kanaan, 01:03.3680 / 102.260mph
      9 No.33 Ernesto Viso, 01:03.3731 / 102.252mph
      10 No.17 Ryan Hunter-Reay, 01:03.4136 / 102.186

Qualifying gets underway at 10:55am EST

The groups are as follows:

Group 1

No. 25 Marty Roth
      No. 17 Ryan Hunter-Reay
      No. 19 Mario Moraes
      No. 06 Graham Rahal
      No. 20 Ed Carpenter
      No. 27 Hideki Mutoh
      No. 34 Franck Perera
      No. 7 Danica Patrick
      No. 11 Tony Kanaan
      No. 36 Enrique Bernoldi
      No. 14 Darren Manning
      No. 8 Will Power
      No. 23 Townsend Bell

Group 2

No. 10 Dan Wheldon
      No. 26 Marco Andretti
      No. 2 A.J. Foyt IV
      No. 33 Ernesto Viso
      No. 9 Scott Dixon
      No. 15 Buddy Rice
      No. 3 Helio Castroneves
      No. 6 Ryan Briscoe
      No. 5 Oriol Servia
      No. 18 Bruno Junqueira
      No. 4 Vitor Meira
      No. 02 Justin Wilson
      No. 24 Jay Howard
      :pt: PT 4racing

Frank und ob ich die Daumen drücke!
      der Feed ist gut, Ton 1A, also schaue ich es mir an und geniesse, dass wir die Qualies wieder kostenlos sehen könnten anders als bei Champ Car in den letzten Jahren
      Das Bild ist auch klasse ...... hmmm .... nicht schlecht
      wer meckert noch rum über die IRL? :D Auch die Infos kommen rüber, die bomben meine Mailbox zu. Diesen Service bin ich von Champ Car gar nicht gewöhnt gewesen jedenfalls nicht die letzten Jahre

also ok, Live Timing war mehr eine "Ohrensache" durch die Kommentatoren, aber immerhin fühlte man sich mitten drin als nur dabei :D

hier ein Screen, wie die Sache in meinem Browser aussieht weil Frank (oder wer war es??) mal kein Bild hatte:

Tony Kanaan hat`s verdammt noch auf die Pole geschafft, hörte sich aber recht "kaputt" danach an, er muss wohl endlich mal richtig arbeiten im Auto :D
      Will Power neben ihm auf P2 in der ersten Startreihe, Wilson P3 und Castroneves P4 vervollständigen die 2. Startreihe, mehr bitte auf dem Screen nachschauen

ich habe etwas dran rumretuschiert, dieser Chat-Dialog ist jetzt weg, das störte mich im Screen

EDIT: wir sind ordentlich OT! Ich werde nachher alle Posts vom St.Pete Quali verschieben, also nicht wundern. Chris hatte doch extra einen Thread für St.Pete eröffnet, dort sollte alles rein
      Absolut genial, wie sich die neuen Teams da in den vorderen Plätzen einordnen. Hätte ich nicht erwartet, schießlich mußten die erstmal das neue Auto kennenlernen.

Eine Kritik muss aber auch sein: In St. Petersburg sieht man, wie stark underpowered ein Indycar auf Straßenkursen ist. Die sollten dringend auf Nicht-Ovalen den Drehzahlbegrenzer etwas hinaufsetzen. Es kann doch nicht sein, dass die ALMS Prototypen praktisch gleichschnell sind, wie ein Indycar Formelwagen.

PS: Seh mir gerade die Übertragung vom ALMS Rennen an, ziemliches Crashfest... hoffentlich läuft das bei den Indycars besser.

Starting Line Up für Sonntag, 06.04.2008

so noch einmal in Zahlen, die Startaufstellung für das Rennen morgen, ich glaube es fängt um 20.30 hiesiger Zeit an, nicht?
      Hey Chris, Du bist doch der official time keeper für Rennstarts?

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - Qualifying Saturday for the Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg IndyCar Series event on the 1.8-mile Streets of St. Petersburg, with starting position, car number in parentheses, driver, chassis-engine and speed:

1. (11) Tony Kanaan, Dallara-Honda, 103.627 mph
      2. (8) Will Power, Dallara-Honda, 103.499

3. (02) Justin Wilson, Dallara-Honda, 103.444
      4. (3) Helio Castroneves, Dallara-Honda, 103.438

5. (6) Ryan Briscoe, Dallara-Honda, 103.338
      6. (17) Ryan Hunter-Reay, Dallara-Honda, 102.845

7. (5) Oriol Servia, Dallara-Honda, 103.279
      8. (10) Dan Wheldon, Dallara-Honda, 103.191

9. (06) Graham Rahal, Dallara-Honda, 103.165
      10. (34) Franck Perera, Dallara-Honda, 103.062

11. (14) Darren Manning, Dallara-Honda, 102.835
      12. (26) Marco Andretti, Dallara-Honda, 102.460