Vitor Meira

Beim letzten und entscheidenden Rennen auf dem Chicagoland Speedway fiel Vitor Meira leider mit technischem Defekt aus. Es war sein letztes Rennen für Panther Racing, sein Vertrag wurde anscheinend nicht verlängert. Er wird durch Dan Wheldon 2009 ersetzt werden.
      In Joilet nahm Vitor Meira Stellung dazu und ich muss sagen: ich ziehe die Mütze vor ihm, selbst jetzt wo er gehen muss gegen seinen Willen hat er nichts schlechtes über das Team Panther Racing zu sagen. Er gibt zwar zu, dass er mit einigen Entscheidungen nicht einverstanden ist/war aber lässt dennoch auf das Team nichts kommen.
      Seine Zukunft ist im Augenblick ungewiss. Aber ich dachte ich poste mal sein Statement auch schon deswegen weil er sagte, dass er es für die Fans draussen als wichtig erachtet. Seinen Wunsch erfülle ich gern.

Quelle IRL PR, 07.09.2008:

IndyCar Series driver Vitor Meira could be making his final start with Panther Racing following the announcement this week that Dan Wheldon has been signed to drive the No. 4 car for the team in 2009.

VITOR MEIRA: “I feel like it’s important for the fans to know what I think about everything that has happened this last week. I didn’t want to leave Panther and the No. 4 car because I know how good this team is going to be next year. I feel like I’m a big part of the foundation of this team in the new generation of the IndyCar Series. I’m sad to leave, and I don’t agree with all the decisions that have been made, but that doesn’t change the way I feel about Panther Racing, and I’ll always have a lot of respect for them. I feel like I’m personal friends with every member of this team. That will never change. I’m also happy to have had the experience with all the sponsors who have supported me, especially Delphi for the two years of support and trust. The National Guard, as an institution, and the s oldiers as individuals, changed me personally and the way I look at everything. One of the key words in the National Guard is ‘honor’, and I’m honored to get to know every member of the National Guard and I always will be, even if I don’t drive their car in the future. I will always know, no matter what, that wherever I am the Guardsmen are Always Ready and Always There. I look forward to continuing my career in the IndyCar Series, and will share any updates as they come available.”